Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just when I'm trying to behave myself,

Vogue is having a sale. I didn't join their BMV club, mainly because, to paraphrase Groucho Marx, I didn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member. They would be more than happy to relieve me of my money, but no, thank you very much, I can live without that extra 10% off.

Most of the new patterns didn't do diddly for me - did everyone see the Michael Kors dress? what was he thinking? On the other hand, there were a few that I really liked. I've narrowed it down to one - which has the added draw of having several appropriate fabrics already in stash. I've decided I might need V8480 because (a) it's a jacket, and I have a massive weakness for jackets, and (b) in the most recent cleanout, I gave the thrift store all my old denim jackets. Face it, they weren't doing anything for my figure (being either men's or so generically cut that they might as well have been menswear, and after a certain age, a lady needs all the help she can get to remind herself and others that yes, there is a waist under those clothes). This could be made up in several fabrics, but I think it would be cute in denim, and I do need a generic throw-over-everything jacket that doesn't look like a candidate to be taken to the thrift store anytime soon.

There's also V8473, which once again I like for the jacket, though the dress is cute on its own. I love the collar on the jacket, and I think (once again) that I have several fabrics that would do it justice. I don't have enough to make the dress and jacket as a set, and that's the main reason I'm not buying the pattern right now - I'm afraid I'd click "buy" on 6 yards of something I don't need to make a dress I won't wear until warmer weather anyway. Maybe if I can sew down the stash and earn 6 yards of fabulous fabric, I'll treat myself to this pattern at the next sale. I have to remember that it's not like this is the last time Vogue will ever have a sale.

Also, fabric stores will never run out of fabric, buttons and zippers will not disappear off the face of the earth, and patterns won't stop being made anytime soon - especially since I have a Burda subscription. This thinking is how I've gotten into stash hell, and I've got to claw my way out somehow.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

I just love that jacket!! I might try and tackle that one myself!

Kitty Couture said...

I'm feeling very tempted by this sale today, too. Oh dear. What is one to do?

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about making that jacket too. I hope I can get to it before spring is in full swing!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I need to memorize your last paragraph and repeat it to myself as a mantra when I get anywhere near a fabric store or the internet.

CraftRage said...

That jacket is very cute! Even though I'm not in stash hell yet (I think I only own two cards of buttons. Well, okay, also about nine thousand yards of bias binding in every color under the sun) I'm pretty proud of myself - I went to a fabric store last night, shopped for about 20 minutes, and left empty handed. Yay us! Oh, I still bought five more vintage patterns in the wrong sizes, but whatever, I still claim a victory!