Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Customer Service Isn't Dead

Ever since April 1, I've been impatiently awaiting the arrival of my April Burda. Ever since I got my subscription back in October (when the local Borders discontinued selling it), the magazine arrives on the 1st or 2nd of the month. By April 7, when it hadn't shown up yet, I was starting to pace. Someone had already posted a review from the April issue and I didn't even have mine yet!

I emailed GLP International's customer service, and a woman named Annika got back to me that same day. She said that the Easter holiday had delayed shipping and they hadn't started to ship until April 3. My magazine should be arriving shortly.

Well, it didn't. I emailed them again on April 14th and got a phone call from Annika the following day. She agreed that my magazine should have arrived. She apologized because they had no April issues left to send me, but she checked with my local Borders (which started selling the magazine again shortly after I subscribed) and they had several copies left. She asked them to hold one for me, and in exchange for the inconvenience and probably higher price (Borders' $10 to GLP's less than $8), they extended my subscription for two months.

It's so rare to get customer service that good that it was almost worth the delay. And I stopped at Borders right after work and got my magazine. And when I got home, my order of Swedish Tracing Paper from Birch Street had arrived, so now I can actually start tracing patterns again.

5 comments:

Sewer-Sewist said...

I've had similar experiences with GLP. Just above and beyond, old-fashioned customer service! Glad you had such a good experience as well...

Paula Gardner said...

Well thank goodness you got a copy! I just picked it up at Barnes & Noble yesterday and it's really good!

cidell said...

They do go above and beyond don't they! I love GLP.

Dawn said...

You're so lucky that they still had a copy at the bookstore!! It does sound like that is excellent customer service. I wonder if you'll get it in a month or two. Sometimes that happens with mail going to Alaska. You won't see if for months and then one day it will just show up. No explanation from the post office or anything.

Claire said...

Wow! That's customer service at it's finest. I've been subcribing to Burda for years through GLP and they are the best!

I'm happy to hear that Borders still had the issue available.

Claire