Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Day No. 2

Home for the second day in a row. It stopped snowing around midnight last night, but that was after it had snowed for 26 hours straight (okay, there might have been a few hours of sleet in there, but it was 26 hours with something unpleasant falling from the sky).

Yesterday, after much coffee and the first round of shoveling, I retreated to the workroom. Damn, it was cold! Heat's always a little sparse in the back of the house, but when I turned on the space heater, it said it was 58 in there. I gave it a little time to warm up before Lily and I went back in.

Even with stopping for lunch, and then having an early dinner, I managed to finish my Burdastyle Heidi dress yesterday. Completely - lining, hem, everything.

I think I must be having a reaction to all this snow - why else would I have made a sleeveless dress? But Erin at Dressaday has been on a Heidi kick, and having fallen for a pattern and made multiple versions myself, I'm always willing to try out someone else's addiction. Heidi has great possibilities, and considering my recent run of not-happy-with-fit, this made me feel better.

Pictures will follow. It's too busy a fabric to photograph in the workroom, and I'm too cold to put it on for pictures against the white wall. I could haul Evelyn into the living room, but I'm cold and lazy. Instead, I'll show you the stretch velvet BWOF 12/09 #120 tunic I finished last week and just reviewed. I'm not thrilled, for the reasons stated in the review, but it's okay and I need stuff to wear around the house so I don't always look like a homeless person in training.

Today I got the call at 7:30 that the office would be closed again, though some peple were going to try toc ome in. I'm actually one of the closest employees, but located on the wrong type of public transit. The regional trains have a better chance of getting you in from the burbs than I do with the local buses or trolley. I could get the el, but that involves a 6 block walk through unshoveled streets, and delays of up to a half hour for the normally every 5 minute train. Nah, I think I'll bake something and then sew some more.

Shoveled this a.m. and the snow was really wet and heavy. My poor front yard - one of the 7 foot rose bushes along my front porch appears to have fallen forward from the weight of the of it. I hope it didn't snap off under there; I don't mind hard pruning, because it will always grow back, but I don't want to have to replace it.

7 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

We're buried in snow too. My husband just had to take the pruners to my Abraham Darby rose in front because some branches had snapped. We will call this "snow pruning". I like your tunic.

Beth from Philly said...

Another Philly snowbound sewist here! Trying to clean up my messy sewing area so that I can begin my spring wardrobe! But an exhausted by shoveling out from under the 26 hours of snow! Plus, currently reading a good book "Belong to Me" by Marisa De los Santos. Terrific!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Nicer lounging clothes is a good idea. I don't normally spend much time at home but at this point I basically haven't taken off my pajamas in five days. It's kind of terrible and kind of awesome.

Sue said...

Amazing weather you are having over there. I have been watching reports on the news. I couldn't imagine living in all that snow!
Can't wait to see your Heidi dress as I have just downloaded the pattern.

Eugenia said...

Wow! That sure is a lot of snow but at least you can stay in and sew!

Rose said...

Brrrr!!! That's about all I'll say about your weather. I like the tunic on Evelyn, but haven't read your review yet....look forward to seeing the Heidi dress.

KID, MD said...

Wow, you're getting a lot done!! I guess all that snow is good for something...

I nominated you for a blog award. Come by and see - http://katiekadiddlehopper.blogspot.com/2010/02/kreativ-blogger-award.html