Sunday, July 25, 2010

Better late than never

PR Weekend took place back on May 14 - 16, but we were missing one Very Important Person.

Problem solved, as you can see.

Deepika arrived in Philadelphia Friday evening for a belated visit, in the middle of the worst heat wave we've had yet this summer, and we've had a few. We stayed up with wine and chocolate for a while, but we wanted to get an early start on Saturday.

The next day, we went for breakfast, me, Deepika and a very patient man, and then hit a couple of porch sales in the neighborhood, the farmer's market and the monthly flea market. After that, we headed downtown and passed a few crucial tourist sites, like the site of PR Weekend and the restaurant where we had our group dinner.

There were plans to meet up with the rest of the PR Weekend planning committee at 1:00 p.m. - Andrea, Elaine, Annette, Mimi and Lee - but we had some time to kill first so we wandered around Old City, browsed the Headhouse craft fair, and had an encounter with a very welcome fountain.

I don't want to think about the incriminating photos she has of me!

We had a great lunch at Alyan's on 4th Street - falafel and hummus and french fries with onions and peppers (and thought of you, Trena!) and then hit Fabric Row.

I didn't think much could put me off fabric shopping, but near 100 degree heat is almost enough to do it. Thankfully all the stores had AC, so we didn't melt. It was close, though.

A good time was definitely had by all, though I've certainly done more fabric damage on 4th Street than I did yesterday. All I ended up buying was a zipper at PA Fabric Outlet and 2 yards of gray pinstripe at Verte Couture so I can try to replicate the pinstriped skirt I posted about recently.

Deepika found her fabric (that's a disciplined woman - she buys one fabric per trip!) and Andrea did a little damage in the name of sheath dresses yet to be. Mimi got some fabric for a bathing suit coverup, and Annette disappeared off down the block and came back smiling, with a bag. Lee got some lovely fabric that I'm looking forward to seeing made up. Elaine couldn't stay long, so she escaped empty-handed (I think).

In search of cool air, we stopped into a few different stores, and I ended up buying a totally kickass pair of shoes at Bus Stop which will absolutely require a new dress to do them justice.

Before we headed toward home, Deepika, Andrea and I walked up South Street toward the Magic Gardens, which is a fabulous tile and mirror mosaic-covered building and garden space created by Philadelphian Isaiah Zagar. It's much more magical in person; some things just don't translate in photos.

By that point, all the cool had drained from our systems and we were melting again. Home we went, to stand in front of the AC and get changed for dinner.

Mario and I took Deepika to our all-time favorite restaurant, La Locanda del Ghiottone (roughly translated: Place of the Gluttons), a BYOB at 3rd and Cherry Streets. I've been going there for about 15 years, but you don't need to be a regular to feel like family. After feeding us wonderful Italian food, the waiter dropped off a plate with a tiramisu and a cannoli on it. We dug in, and the other waiter, Joe, came past. "That's not enough," he said, and put down another plate, with another slab of tiramisu and a fruit crepe.

I'm proud to say, we cleaned our plates.

In an attempt to walk off dinner, we headed for Penn's Landing, where we encountered a concert and sat out under the full moon and listened to music for a while. When the music ended, we headed home again, and sat up and talked late into the night.

Unfortunately, the weekend ended too soon and Deepika flew home this afternoon, but I think we were able to give her a taste of what PR Weekend Philadelphia was like, and have a great time in the process.

Come back soon, Deepika!

**Edited to add a few photos supplied by Deepika.

3 comments:

Elaray said...

Two PR Weekends for the price of one! I had a fabulous time in spite of the heat and the parking ticket!

Deepika said...

Karen, I had a GREAT time in Philly. Thanks for having me.

Connie said...

*sigh* I can imagine the fun you had together! And yes, Karen, I saw the incriminating fountain photo she has of you! I'm glad she was able to get out to you- jealous too!