Sunday, June 24, 2012

Retrofit

Sometimes a project needs a little tweaking.  A few years ago I made a shirt for Mario that has gone almost unworn (as in once per summer, to humor me).

This may be because I think the fabric is fabulous and he does not.  I think it looks like Jackson Pollock in Space and he does not.

I jokingly asked if it would be better if I embroidered a rocket ship on it.

He said it would.

Really?
And could it be the rocket ship from Futurama?  

So I did.  I found a picture online, copied it and drew it onto some scrap fabric, and embroidered it in odd moments this weekend.  Then I cut out the ship, got him to put on the shirt and pinned the applique to the left front.   

I stitched it on with the machine, then added some final embroidery - the gun turret on top.

He likes it now.  Go figure.

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

I really like the Jackson Pollack in space look. I've never made my husband clothing that wasn't meant to be worn to a Ren Fest. I will be on the lookout for space fabric.

BetsyV said...

Awesome. Much better with the ship. And I thought Futurama too, before I saw you wrote it.

Andrea said...

That's hot.

Graca said...

That is too cool!

shams said...

LOLOL. He's right!!! It's much better with that rocket ship!!!

Kyle said...

He looks so much happier with the rocket ship!
Andrea's comment made me laugh out loud!!

Elaray said...

Now you understand why I am definitely on Team Mario!

Did you embroider that by hand or do you have an embroidery machine?

Lisette M said...

So funny!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Hee, that is so cute. Sometimes it's the little things that make them happy.

Little Hunting Creek said...

That is super cool

lsaspacey said...

Well, of course, now it's been personalized! A bit of you (the fabric) and a bit of him (the ultra cool Futurama ship!). A good compromise.