Wednesday, January 1, 2014

It's a Whole New Year

Another holiday season on the shelf. 
It's been a while since I've checked in here.  I took some time off around the holidays (my last show ended on 12/22), and then with family obligations and other inescapable things, I haven't had much to share here.

I did, however, do a complete overhaul of my workroom, which needed it badly.  It took three solid days and I'm not done yet, however, I've found my work table and it was too tempting not to actually work on it.  The shop needed restocking and I made 10 pair of mittens in the last couple of days, along with starting a few new items made from upcycled sweaters.  I'm excited about those and will share in more detail soon.

The new year always brings on that sense of needing to make resolutions, but I'm not going there.  I don't want to write down a list of unrealistic changes in my life that I will keep for a week or two and then feel bad about until I manage to forget them.  I don't think the following count as resolutions, quite. Matter of fact, if I don't number them, they're just some random thoughts strung together in paragraph form.

I'm going to continue to build my business, and enjoy making things that I hope people will buy.  I'm going to continue to do craft shows because I've gotten to a point where I can do them without feeling uncomfortable, or at least letting it show too much.  I'm going to consider what non-traditional employment means in the face of a possible part-time job offer.  I'm going to pay less attention to the news while remaining well-informed; I don't need to be blasted by constant outrage and annoyance - I spend too much of my creative time just trying to clear it out of my head.

And I'm going to spend time being a better wife.  I've got a wonderful, patient husband who doesn't mind a messy house strewn with fabric and pins (especially if he gets the occasional shirt out of it), who drives me to and from events, helps me set up and then goes off to do his own thing.  I want to make sure he knows how much I love and value his support in this and every other aspect of my life.

So I guess those might be resolutions, after all.  Kind of.  But they're the kind that I don't think I'll have too much difficulty keeping - or that I'll want to keep.

To everyone who stops by and reads this, have a wonderful, peaceful and creative new year.

No comments: